Thursday, May 24, 2012

Machine gun wedding


I am writing this blog post whilst listening to “The Circle of Life” by Alex Boye and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. It’s a good one.

Speaking of music, there are some crazy Arabic songs out there. And crazier music videos. Today at a restaurant I watched this animated music video that showed a guy who was creepily obsessed with his neighbor. He watched her from his balcony with binoculars, followed her around, and so forth. Not quite sure what was going on there.

Arabic music at its finest.

And here's a link to a music video if you're really curious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT-MeHJhtEc&ob=av2e

Back to reality. Yesterday the green team (what the manager we work with has affectionately nicknamed us) went to visit KPMG. Yes, all of the Big Four accounting firms have offices here. They’re everywhere. Like the eye of Sauron. Always watching. They were extremely helpful in giving us some insights about the client we are working with and how we can help them move forward. Following the visit, we went to McDonald’s and had a taste of good old American fast food. It’s kind of scary how a Big Mac and fries tastes exactly the same here as it does in the U.S.

Steve and I at KPMG.

Last night we ran into the shabab (roving youth of the neighborhood) and played soccer with them. Then we taught them American football. They were hilarious and we had a great time. I was pretty much the MVP of the night, scoring at least three touchdowns. I am now known as James Bond by these kids.

 Rollin with the shabab.

I woke up at 4 this morning to a light shining in my eyes and my roommate trying to kill a mosquito by my bed. Steve is allergic to mosquitoes, so he went on an extermination rampage to destroy all flying blood-suckers in our room. I was kind of freaked out, but fell back asleep after about ten seconds. I don’t know why, but the wee bugs don’t like my blood. Which is strange since I have liquid gold (aka O negative) flowing through these veins. Those mosquitoes have no idea what they’re missing out on.

 A photo of a cool mosque to break up these last two paragraphs.

Bachelor parties and weddings are quite the event here. There have been some festivities going on down our street for the past couple of nights. When you hear loud Arabic music mingled with spurts of gunfire, you know someone’s getting hitched soon. I’ve decided I also want random gunfire at my wedding reception. To my future wife: I won’t budge on that one. You can have the colors, food, music, decorations, location, and whatever thousand other subtle things you’ve dreamed of since age 5, but there must be a few AR-15s at our reception. Deal? Thanks.

3 comments: